There’s a meme going around Facebook where people are writing a list of 25 things about themselves and then tagging people to their note and have them write their own list. I’ve been tagged a handful of times and I thought I would make a list. However, I’m still not sure if I want to put it on Facebook so I’ll put it here for now.
Here are the rules: “Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you.” So with that, I came up with this list:
1. I really need to work on being a better Muslim and a better person.
2. I have a touch of geekiness.
3. I love speaking in front of crowds.
4. There have been two times where I have been so incredibly high on sugar and caffeine that I was a mess 1) At Serendipity’s in NYC with my cousin when I had my frozen hot chocolate and finished up her frozen mocha and 2) When with a friend the night the last Harry Potter book came out. I had two cold coffees from Mirchi’s that night. I don’t recommend doing that.
5. I’m hoping to get away with wearing jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies for as long as possible.
6. Zooey Glass from J.D. Salinger’s Franny and Zooey is my favorite literary character and I wish I could write like Salinger.
7. I like writing but I don’t write nearly as much as I should.
8. I want to get a PhD because I told my dad I would in one of the last conversations we had before he passed away. Even if I don’t end up getting an advanced degree, I still hope to one day be the kind of daughter he can be proud of, InshAllah (God Willing).
9. I want to go from someone who ‘likes to take pictures’ to a ‘photographer who is good at taking pictures’.
10. Beginning the process of learning Arabic is one of the best decisions I’ve made in a long time.
11. When I commuted to Emeryville everyday, I constantly worried about getting into an accident during my long commute. I ended up getting in a fender bender not on the freeway, but in the parking garage at work. D’oh!
12. My family’s old house in Newark had a glass sliding door, which I ran into. Twice.
13. I’ve been a lifelong Superman fan and even read Superman comic books weekly for 5 1/2 years.
14. There’s just something about Donnie Darko that speaks to me.
15. I want to help people.
16. If I had to choose between the power of flight or invisibility, I would choose flight.
17. I have this thing with mochas. I have to try a mocha whenever I’m in cafe I’ve never been to before.
18. I once almost broke out into song at the gym while listening to my iPod. I caught myself just in time.
19. I acknowledge that sometimes I am too sarcastic for my own good.
20. Even though I can be a bit cynical sometimes, I’m actually a hopeless romantic at heart.
21. It took me a while to realize that it is completely ok that I’m sort of a loner.
22. I only have a few close friends but I’m really protective of them.
23. At one point during a long stretch of unemployment after college, I got so lazy that I didn’t finish my sentences. I just waved my arm to signify that I was done talking. I wasn’t usually talking about anything important so no one really noticed that I stopped talking mid-sentence.
24. I was always wary of babies and little kids until my nephew Raza was born. I never thought I could feel as much love as I do for him and now my niece Sundus.
25. I could never be half the person my mom is but it is definitely something to strive for.